Have you ever tried Thai food? Do you like it? Thai food is one of the things that every foreigner should try when they come to Thailand. At my old school, when we have visitors from other countries we always take them out to eat. We take them to a Thai restaurant to try Thai food and also teach them about table manners too!
Not long ago, the Office of the National Culture Commission announced the top ten Thai dishes best liked by foreigners. In cooperation with the Ministry of Foreigner Affairs, the Office had conducted a survey of Thai restaurants all over the world to find out ten favourite Thai dishes of foreigners. In the survey 1,000 Thai restaurant around the world were asked to fill in a questionnaire. However, only 500 restaurants which have Thai chefs and offer the authentic Thai food were qualified for being taken into consideration.
The results were the top ten Thai dishes which are listed below in order of their percentages of popularity:
- Tom Yam Kung (spicy shrimp soup)
- Kaeng Khiao Wan Kai (green chicken curry)
- Phat Thai (fried noodles of Thai style)
- Phat Kaphrao (meat fried with sweet basils)
- Kaeng Phet Pet Yang (roast duck curry)
- Tom Kha Kai (chicken in coconut soup)
- Yam Nua (spicy beef salad)
- Mu or Kai sa-te (roast pork or chicken coated with turmeric)
- Kai Phat Met Mamuang Himmaphan (chicken fried with cashew nuts)
- Phanaeng (meat in coconut cream)